Emergency numbers

If a boater has a VHF radio, it is best to call the Coast Guard’s Marine Communications and Traffic Services (MCTS) on VHF Channel 16 to make a mayday or pan pan call, as required.  If you do not have a VHF radio, then contact the Coast Guard radio via cell phone *16.  Contacting JRCC using *727 or calling 911 should only be used as last resort alternatives.

If you are on land and need to report a boater who is overdue according to their sail plan and you have not been able to establish contact with them, or want to report a vessel in distress, contact Coast Guard radio via cell phone *16 or the Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) at 1-800-567-5111.